A: An Autopsy

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Adman by day, music writer by night. Closet metalhead on weekends. You may find me weird, but that's just probably you.

I quit smoking and proud of it

Monday, January 18, 2010

But I'm still burning in your flames

I have been always fascinated with the works of the 3 Kings of Doom; namely Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride and Anathema. Be it from their beginning in the early 90s or until today (which each of them already evolved into different paths); My Dying Bride is still playing Doom with hint of Gothic Metal, Paradise Lost somehow got lost in somewhere after 'Icon' and lately returned to their Gothic/Doom roots, and Anathema is the most eccentric among of these 3. Anathema shed their Doom sound and evolved into Atmospheric/ Prog Rock in the vein of Pink Floyd, just to name a few of their (new) influence. It is kind of strange, since usually when a band decided to abandon their signature sound and head for a different direction, fans (save the hardcore fans) will usually accuse the band of being either sell out or poser. But this doesn't apply to Anathema. Whether they abandoned their Doom/ Death sound or adopted a Pink Floyd-ish sound, they still fascinate me. There could be one reason to explain this. The emotion. Whether I listen to A Dying Wish or Are You There?, they can still invoke the feeling of despair, sadness and loneliness in me. And I think among the 3, Anathema lyrics are the most straight forward to understand.

This might seems straight forward, but Anathema really played a big role in my life. For example, whenever I play 'Everwake' it will instantly reminds me of me and my former...former flame(so does J'ai Fait Une Promesse, sob sob). 'Alone' will always reminds me how bleak and empty my life is (being emo haha~). ' Angelica'.. Well 'Angelica' is my favorite among all. I think if the lyrics were written in bahasa, it'll be a very leleh cinta anthem. A perfect one, I may say. So I have already listened to the album version ( from Eternity), a live version (from Eternity 2003 re-release), and lastly from Hindsight album (a reworking of the old songs in accoutics version). I like all version, and each and every version is beautiful. Now I feel like going all emo haha. Can't believe when they play Angelica (from A Moment in Time video), some of the crowd bang they head to this. How ironic :) Anyway, I hope you enjoy Angelica, as much as I do.



... And I still wonder if you ever wonder the same?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails